How to select devices to play multicast paging announcements
Ooma Office customers who use overhead paging to play announcements, can also set up compatible IP phones to play the same announcement.
This feature is a useful addition in situations where the phone is located in a space where the overhead paging system cannot be easily heard.
The two methods of adding a compatible IP phone to the multicast paging group are described below. Once the devices are added to the multicast paging group, you can page them by picking up an IP phone and pressing the programmable button that has been configured with Multicast Paging functionality.
From the Devices page (single device)
- Log in to office.ooma.com as an administrator and navigate to Devices under the Settings page.
- Locate the device that you would like to add to the multicast paging group and click the corresponding line.
- Go to the Advanced Settings tab.
- Check the box beside the option to play multicast announcements on this device.
- Click Save.
From the System page (multiple devices)
- Log in to office.ooma.com as an administrator and navigate to the Settings page.
- Click System, then navigate to the IP Phones tab.
- Click Select Devices under the Multicast Paging header to bring up the Multicast Paging window.
- Choose the devices you would like to add to the multicast paging group.
- Click Save.
There is no limit to the number of devices you can have in the multicast paging group, provided that they are hosted on the same local network (VLAN). This means that you can also use this feature if you need to set up a paging group with more than ten IP phones.