HIPAA support on Ooma Office (Pro)(EAP)
The Health Insurance Portability and Accounting Act (HIPAA) is an American federal law designed to protect sensitive health information from being disclosed without patient consent. Companies that deal with protected health information must abide by HIPAA and its related regulations. Similarly, vendors like Ooma that work with companies bound by HIPAA must comply with those regulations.
Enabling HIPAA mode in Ooma Office Manager can help covered entities meet their HIPAA obligations when they are consuming Ooma Office services. This mode makes the following changes to Ooma Office:
- All media files, including voicemail, call recordings, meeting recordings, and fax attachments are encrypted at rest and in transit
- Messaging (texting) is disabled
- Email notifications do not contain media attachments
- Bulk download of media is disabled
Please note that purchasing Ooma integration with certain CRMs may require HIPAA mode to be enabled.
You can toggle HIPAA mode on or off by following these instructions:
- Log in to office.ooma.com as an administrator and navigate to the Settings page.
- Go to the System page, then navigate to the HIPAA tab.
- Read through the HIPAA terms and conditions and select Accept Terms. You will need to agree to additional terms and conditions on subsequent pages.
Please note that users will currently be unable to use the text messaging feature when HIPAA mode is enabled.
At any time, you can Disable HIPAA Settings by navigating to the same window. If you do disable HIPAA mode, keep in mind that Ooma will continue to encrypt your media files.