Setting Up Your Ooma Safety Phone
The Ooma Safety Phone is a small speaker phone that can be worn or kept by your side all day.
Since the Safety Phone is a fully-working speaker phone capable of two-way communication, you can use it to make and receive calls from anywhere within the range of your home Ooma system.
Comfortable to wear and programmable with two speed dial buttons that can each ring up to three numbers, the Safety Phone gives you the peace of mind that your caretaker and loved ones are just a button press away. The Safety Phone can effectively support your independent lifestyle.
- What’s in the box?
- What do I need to have in order to use my Ooma Safety Phone?
- How do I register my Ooma Safety Phone?
- How do I program the two speed dial buttons on my Safety Phone?
- How do I make a call using my Safety Phone?
- How do I adjust the volume?
- How do I answer a call with the Safety Phone?
- How long will the battery last?
- What is the range of the Safety Phone?
What’s in the box?
The Ooma Safety Phone comes with the following equipment in the box:
- Ooma Safety Phone with attached lanyard
- Charging cradle with AC adapter
What do I need to have in order to use my Ooma Safety Phone?
All you need to set up your Ooma Safety Phone is a working Ooma Telo Base Station device and an active subscription to Ooma Premier.
How do I register my Ooma Safety Phone?
Follow these steps to register your Safety Phone to your Ooma Telo Base Station base unit:
- Place the Safety Phone on the charging cradle and charge for a few minutes until the status LED turns purple and you start to hear the Safety Phone play two short beeps periodically.
- When you are ready to register the Safety Phone, take it out of the cradle and then put it back in. The status LED will start to blink red and blue.
- Press and hold the PAGE button on your Ooma Telo Base Station device for three seconds to activate “Registration” mode. The system will audibly confirm that you are now in “Registration” mode.
- The Safety Phone will automatically register with your Ooma system. When the registration process is successful, you will hear a long beep.
- Continue to charge the Safety Phone for at least three hours until the status LED lights up solid blue.
- Finish the installation process and configure the two “Speed Dial” buttons by going to: http://my.ooma.com/devices.
How do I program the two speed dial buttons on my Safety Phone?
Log into My Ooma and navigate to the “Devices” page:
Your registered Safety Phone will be displayed Devices screen. Click on the device and then click “Edit” to continue.
The “Edit Device” screen is displayed:
- Enter a friendly name to associate with your Safety Phone.
- To program the first speed dial button, enter a phone number in the first “Phone Number” field. You can add up to three phone numbers per speed dial button. When the button is pressed, the Safety Phone will try dialing these numbers in the order that you have entered them until someone answers.
You can choose to send an email or text alert when this speed dial is used. If you would like to enable this feature, click the “Notifications” option. Select a type from the “+ Add notification” drop-down (available options are “Email” or “Mobile/SMS”), and then enter the destination address. You can add up to 3 notification destinations per Speed Dial number:
You can add a custom message that will be sent with each notification. To do this, click the “Your Message” option. You can then type in your custom message that is up to 256 characters long:
- If you want to program the second speed dial, click “Speed Dial 2” and repeat steps 3 and 4.
- Once you are finished, click “Save.” You’re done! Your Safety Phone will be programmed with your speed dial numbers and ready for use within a few seconds.
How do I make a call using my Safety Phone?
To make a call using your Safety Phone, press the “1” or the “2” button on the back of the unit to make the call to the corresponding “Speed Dial 1” and “Speed Dial 2” numbers that you set up for the device.
If you have set up multiple numbers for a speed dial button, then the Safety Phone will try ringing each of those numbers sequentially until someone answers your call.
How do I adjust the volume?
Use the “+” and “-“ buttons on the back of your Safety Phone to adjust the speaker volume.
How do I answer a call with the Safety Phone?
When your Safety Phone rings, press the “Talk” button on the front of the unit and speak as you would into any phone. The unit’s microphone will pick up your voice and the speaker will allow you to hear the person on the other end of the line.
How long will the battery last?
The built-in battery will last for five days in standby mode or for seven hours of talk time when fully charged. The battery in the Safety Phone is not replaceable. The expected lifetime of the battery is two years, but may vary based on usage.
What is the range of the Safety Phone?
The Safety Phone is intended for indoor use with a range of up to 50 meters (164 feet) from the Ooma Telo Base Station. This range may vary based on factors such as home construction and other electrical devices and appliances being used in the home.