It can be inconvenient – to say the very least! – to have a new phone number that you need to distribute to everyone you know. Now you have the option to switch phone carriers while avoiding that hassle. With the phone number porting option, you can say goodbye to your current phone company, gain access to all of our cool features, and keep your phone number as well.
Important: Please note that it takes an average of three to four weeks to complete the porting process. Number porting is supported in most calling areas. You can check whether your current phone number can be ported to Ooma by visiting www.ooma.com. If you want to port your phone number, it is necessary to keep your existing home phone service until this process is complete. If you cancel your phone service prior to completing the porting process you risk losing the number you are attempting to port to Ooma. If you have DSL Internet service, please keep in mind that porting your number may disrupt your DSL service.
- What is porting?
- What numbers can I port to Ooma?
- What information do I need to port my phone number?
- What happens once I’ve initiated a phone number port?
- What happens to my temporary number after my number has been ported to Ooma?
What is porting?
Phone number porting is an option that allows you to transfer your existing phone number from your old phone company to Ooma. By taking advantage of the number porting option you can save yourself the time and hassle of contacting all of the people who have your phone number to update them on a new one. Transferring your phone number can take several weeks to complete and requires a one-time charge of $39.99 (which is waived if you subscribe to one year of Ooma Premier).
What numbers can I port to Ooma?
The process of porting your number from your current home phone provider to Ooma couldn’t be easier - all it takes is a few clicks. Number porting is supported in most calling areas. You can check whether your current phone number can be ported to Ooma by visiting www.ooma.com/port.
Note: Porting in phone numbers from premium area codes including Hawaii, Alaska, and Puerto Rico carries an annual charge of $29.99/year. This subscription fee is waived with an annual subscription to Ooma Premier.
What information do I need to port my phone number?
Once you’ve decided to take the plunge and port your number, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Log into your My Ooma account and navigate to the Add-Ons tab. Select the Number Port option.
- Read the instructions carefully, and fill out the form on the Number Porting page with the following information:
- The phone number you want to port
- The type of phone number (landline, VoIP, mobile)
- The type of broadband Internet service you have (cable, DSL, etc)
You’ll also have the option to upload a copy of your most recent phone bill, which is helpful for resolving problems that may arise during the porting process.
- You will then be asked to fill out an online Letter of Authorization (LOA) form. This is an important document as it authorizes Ooma to begin the process of porting your phone number from your current carrier. The information requested on this form must match the information that is on record with your current phone company. Any errors or discrepancies in this form can cause lengthy (and costly) delays in your port, so Ooma recommends that you double check your input against the most recent version of your phone bill.
- Once you’ve completed your LOA, the “porting” item will be added to your shopping cart. You’ll need to “check out” to complete the process, even if you are getting a free port because of an Ooma Premier subscription.
What happens once I’ve initiated a phone number port?
The next step is up to your current phone service provider. Approximately two weeks after your Letter of Authorization has been submitted, Ooma will send you a Firm Order Confirmation (FOC) date. This will be the day your number is actually ported to Ooma from your current phone company. When your phone number has been successfully ported to your Ooma system, a member of the Ooma Customer Care team will make a test call to ensure that the port was successful. Afterwards, Ooma will send you one more email to let you know that the process is complete.
Once your number is successfully moved over to Ooma, you can call your old phone company to cancel your phone service. Say goodbye to your huge monthly bills!
What happens to my temporary number after my number has been ported to Ooma?
Once your number has been successfully ported to Ooma, it will replace your temporary number as the default phone number for your Ooma account. Your temporary number will be released back into the pool of available numbers. If you would like to keep your temporary number permanently, you can contact Customer Care by emailing email@example.com at any time during the number porting process to request that your temporary number be assigned as a virtual number on your account.
Note: Adding a second phone number to your account requires an active subscription to Ooma Premier.