Going out shouldn’t be cause for concern when you leave your kids with a babysitter or when you’re caring for a loved one. Gain some peace of mind with 911 Alerts. If anyone ever dials 911 from your Ooma phone, we’ll immediately send a text message to your cell phone letting you know. You’ll instantly be alerted that there’s a problem, and can respond to the situation appropriately.
- How do I set up 911 Alerts?
- How can I test 911 Alerts to make sure they work?
- How can I change the emergency address for my account?
- What address or phone number is the alert sent from?
- What text is sent in the alert?
- What can I put in my custom message?
- Is there a limit to how long my custom message can be?
- Who can use 911 Alerts?
- Do 911 Alerts work if I have a landline integrated with my Ooma system?
How do I set up 911 Alerts?
You can set up 911 Alerts by following these steps:
- Navigate to 911 Alerts under the Preferences tab in your My Ooma Account
- Select the option to enable 911 Alerts
- Enter the phone number or email address where you want alerts to be sent
- Optionally, you can enter a custom message that will be included in the alert – this can include specific instructions for the message recipient or important health information
- Save your changes
You can enable up to three different numbers or email addresses to receive 911 Alerts. Please note that your mobile carrier may apply additional charges to your account to receive text messages.
How can I test 911 Alerts to make sure they work?
You can test to make sure your 911 Alerts are working properly by using your Ooma phone to dial 6-1-1. You will hear a recorded message that tells you that a test call has been placed. You can check your email inbox or your phone to make sure that the alert was sent properly. Double-check that the address included in the alert is up-to-date.
Important: Do not test this feature by dialing 9-1-1, as this will trigger a call to your local emergency dispatch center.
How can I change the emergency address for my account?
You can update your emergency 911 information by visiting the Service Address option in My Ooma. To learn more about E911 service, you may wish to see our E911 FAQ.
What address or phone number is the alert sent from?
The message is sent from email@example.com.
What text is sent in the alert?
The message includes the following information:
- The first and last name on the Ooma account
- The account phone number
- The address that was sent to the emergency dispatch center
- If configured, a custom message that was entered during feature setup
Messages sent with this feature may span more than one text message.
What can I put in my custom message?
The custom message allows you to note information that may be relevant when a call to 911 is placed. Some customers find it helpful to put one or more of the following in their alerts:
- Information about family members (names, ages, etc.)
- Special medical information that may be useful to emergency personnel
- A note that this message was generated automatically because a call was placed to 911 from the home phone
Is there a limit to how long my custom message can be?
The custom message is limited to 256 characters.
Who can use 911 Alerts?
911 Alerts are available to Ooma Premier and Ooma Basic subscribers.
Do 911 Alerts work if I have a landline integrated with my Ooma system?
No. Currently 911 Alerts only work if you do not have a landline connected to your Ooma system.
Note: Ooma Telo Base Station units manufactured after April 2011 no longer support landline integration.