Ooma Water Sensor
The Ooma Water Sensor works with Ooma Smart Security to alert you to unexpected moisture in areas that should be dry or to unexpected dryness in areas that should be wet. Perfect for use beneath the sink, near your water heater, and even in potted plants, the water sensor is simple to use and easy to install.
- What comes in the box?
- Installation Instructions
- Are there any places I should avoid mounting the water sensor?
- Will the water sensor probe corrode if it is exposed to water for too long?
- How long does it take for the water sensor to detect the presence of water?
- What is the water sensor’s battery life?
- Can the water sensor be plugged in?
- What do the lights on the water sensor mean?
- What options can I enable for the water sensor?
- Is there a video that can tell me more abotu the Ooma Water Sensor?
- My Ooma Water Sensor is disconnected. What should I do?
What comes in the box?
You will find the following items included with the Ooma Water Sensor:
- Ooma Water Sensor
- Adhesive pads
- Mounting screws
- Two AAA batteries
- Quick Start Guide
The first time you set up the Ooma Water Sensor, you will need to pair it with your Telo Base Station. You can pair the sensor by following these instructions:
- Bring the sensor within ten feet of the Telo Base Station.
- Use the mobile app to press the “Add Sensor” button on the dashboard.
- Select the type of sensor you would like to pair.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the pairing process.
Once the sensor is paired, make sure that the tamper sensor is pressed down and decide where you would like to install it. When you are deciding on a location, please take care to select a spot where the large device will not come into contact with water as it is not waterproof.
Once you have decided on a mounting location, there are two different installation methods for the Ooma Water Sensor:
Adhesive tape installation
To install the water sensor on a wall with the included adhesive tape, start by wiping the surface with a damp cloth to clean it. Dry the surface, and then peel the adhesive tape. Press one side of the tape to the sensor, and then press the sensor against the wall and hold it in place for 30 seconds.
Once the base of the water sensor is mounted, position the probe either vertically or horizontally so that the two gold probes will make contact with the surface you will be monitoring.
To mount the base of the sensor using screws, screw the mounting plate into the wall in the desired location. Reattach the sensor to the mounting plate.
The probe can be mounted by removing the screw cap to expose the screw hole if you wish. It should be positioned either vertically or horizontally so that the two gold probes will make contact with the surface you will be monitoring.
Are there any places I should avoid mounting the water sensor?
The large piece of the water sensor is not waterproof, so be sure to mount that part of the sensor in a location that will not come into contact with water.
Also, the wireless signal between the water sensor and the Telo Base Station can be blocked by metals. Avoid mounting the large piece of the water sensor directly onto a metal surface such as a refrigerator or water heater.
Will the water sensor probe corrode if it is exposed to water for too long?
The probe is gold plated, so it will not corrode if it is exposed to water.
How long does it take for the water sensor to detect the presence of water?
When the probe makes contact with water, the water sensor will send an alert within one minute.
What is the water sensor’s battery life?
The water sensor has a battery life of approximately 1.5 years.
You will receive a notification immediately when the sensor has low battery. In addition, you will receive notifications via the app every Wednesday and Saturday until the battery is replaced.
Can the water sensor be plugged in?
The water sensor is designed to be battery-operated so that it can be installed anywhere.
What do the lights on the water sensor mean?
The water sensor uses an LED light to indicate its status. Please see the chart below for more information about what each indicator type means:
What options can I enable for the water sensor?
You can use the Ooma Smart Security mobile app to determine when the water sensor is enabled and when it is not. The app can also be configured to alert you when the probe is dry. In other words, the water sensor can be used to detect a lack of moisture, such as with potted plants.
You can learn more about configuring the mobile app by visiting our FAQ.
Is there a video that can tell me more abotu the Ooma Water Sensor?
Yes! You can watch our tutorial video to learn more about the Ooma Water Sensor.
My Ooma Water Sensor is disconnected. What should I do?
If your Water Sensor is not connected, try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Check if the placement of your sensor is good. Your sensor must be within 200 feet of your Telo Base Station to maintain a good connection. Avoid mounting your sensor near metal objects, which can obstruct the signal between the sensor and your Telo Base Station.
- Check whether your battery is still good:
- Quickly tap the sensor’s pairing button. If the LED status indicator shows a solid, steady light for five seconds, your battery is good. If it blinks for five seconds or does not light up at all, your batteries should be replaced.
- If you had to replace your batteries, tap the pairing button to page your Telo Base Station. This should cause your sensor to reconnect.
- If the above steps did not resolve the problem, try re-pairing your sensor by pressing “+ Add Sensor” on the Ooma Smart Security mobile app dashboard and choosing the type of sensor you want to re-pair. Follow the on-screen instructions.
- If the above steps did not solve your issue, contact our Customer Care team.