VTech Garage Door Sensor
The VTech Garage Door Sensor works with Ooma Smart Security to alert you when your garage door opens unexpectedly. The sensor can also detect if the garage door has been left open for an extended period and can alert you if it needs to be closed.
- What comes in the box?
- Installation Instructions
- Can I mount the Garage Door Sensor outdoors?
- Are there any places I should avoid mounting the Garage Door Sensor?
- Can the Garage Door Sensor be plugged in?
- What options can I enable for the Garage Door Sensor?
- My Garage Door Sensor is disconnected. What should I do?
What comes in the box?
You will find the following items included with the VTech Garage Door Sensor:
- VTech Garage Door Sensor
- Double-sided mounting tape
- Mounting screws
- Two AAA batteries
- User’s manual
Your first step in installing the sensor is to install the two AAA batteries. Press the latch button on the sensor to open the battery compartment case, and then insert the batteries into the compartment.
Next, you will need to pair the sensor with your Telo Base Station. You can pair it by following these instructions:
- Bring the sensor within ten feet of the Telo Base Station.
- Use the mobile app to press the “Add Sensor” button on the dashboard.
- Select the type of sensor you would like to pair.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the pairing process.
Once the sensor is paired, you will need to decide where on the garage door you would like to install it. You may wish to test the strength of the sensor’s connection to the Telo Base Station by standing near the garage door and tilting the sensor 90 degrees so the vtech logo is facing downward:
Note that there is a component inside the sensor that detects orientation. It is normal to hear a rattling sound when the sensor is tilted.
Once you have confirmed that the sensor is within range of the Telo Base Station and you have decided on a mounting location, there are two different installation methods for the VTech Garage Door Sensor.
Adhesive tape installation
This installation method is ideal for smooth surfaces. A textured surface can keep the mounting tape from making a strong bond.
To install the Garage Door Sensor with the included adhesive tape, start by wiping the surface with a damp cloth to clean it. Dry the surface, and then peel the double-sided tape. Press one side of the tape to the rectangular area of the sensor’s back cover, and then press the sensor against the garage door and hold it in place for 30 seconds:
To mount the sensor using screws, press the latch button on the sensor to open the battery compartment case:
Use the two holes on the back of the cover to mark the desired location on the garage door. Then, remove the back cover and drill two holes into the garage door. Align the holes on the back cover of the sensor with the holes on the garage door and screw the back cover onto the door:
Tighten the screws into the holes to secure the back cover to the garage door. Then push the battery compartment case back onto the back cover until it clicks into place.
Can I mount the Garage Door Sensor outdoors?
The sensor is not weatherproof, so it should be mounted indoors in a dry location.
Are there any places I should avoid mounting the Garage Door Sensor?
The wireless signal between the Garage Door Sensor and the Telo Base Station can be blocked by metals, so avoid mounting it directly onto a metal surface.
Can the Garage Door Sensor be plugged in?
The Garage Door Sensor is designed to be battery-operated so that it can be installed anywhere.
What options can I enable for the Garage Door Sensor?
You can use the Ooma Smart Security mobile app to determine when the Garage Door Sensor is enabled and when it is not. The app can also be configured to alert you when the sensor has not been activated within a certain time frame. This can be useful if you are expecting someone to return home at a certain time each day.
You can learn more about configuring the mobile app by visiting our FAQ.
My Garage Door Sensor is disconnected. What should I do?
If your Garage Door Sensor is not connected, try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Check if the placement of your sensor is good. Your sensor must be within 200 feet of your Telo Base Station to maintain a good connection. Avoid mounting your sensor near metal objects, which can obstruct the signal between the sensor and your Telo Base Station.
- Check whether your battery is still good:
- Press and hold the pairing button for five seconds. If the Garage Door Sensor flashes a red LED, which indicates that it can’t enter pairing mode, your batteries should be replaced. Otherwise, remove and re-insert the batteries to exit pairing mode.
- If you had to replace your batteries, tap the pairing button to page your Telo Base Station. This should cause your sensor to reconnect.
- If the above steps did not resolve the problem, try re-pairing your sensor by pressing “+ Add Sensor” on the Ooma Smart Security mobile app dashboard and choosing the type of sensor you want to re-pair. Follow the on-screen instructions.
- If the above steps did not solve your issue, contact our Customer Care team.