Linking your Ooma Telo Base Station with IFTTT can take your setup to the next level by allowing Ooma to intelligently connect with Android and iOS devices, Philips Hue lights, and other products and services. You can take advantage of our many premade Recipes to get started. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, you can go a step further and create your own Recipes to customize the interactions between your Ooma and the other technologies in your life.
- What is IFTTT?
- What is an IFTTT Recipe?
- Is there a limit to the number of IFTTT Recipes I can use at one time?
- Who can use IFTTT integration?
- How do I get started with connecting Ooma to my favorite devices and services through IFTTT?
- How do I find other Recipes that will work with Ooma?
- How do I create my own Recipe?
- What are some examples of IFTTT using IFTTT to enhance my Ooma setup?
- What Triggers are available for the Ooma Channel?
- What Actions are available for the Ooma Channel?
- What is an Ingredient?
- How do I manage my Recipes?
- How do I unlink my Ooma account from IFTTT?
What is IFTTT?
“If This Then That,” or IFTTT (pronounced like “gift” without the “g”), is a service that allows its users to link Internet-compatible services together so that they can interact with each other. After you sign up and connect two or more services such as your Ooma account, you can set up simple automation tasks called “Recipes” so that an action from one service triggers an event on another. You can learn more about IFTTT here.
What is an IFTTT Recipe?
An IFTTT Recipe is comprised of a simple “if this, then that” statement. Recipes can be used to customize or automate the way you interact with the services that you connect to IFTTT.
There are two parts to a Recipe: the Trigger (the “this” portion of the statement), and the Action (the “that” part of the recipe). Triggers are the events that “trigger” the Action.
For example, receiving a phone call on your Ooma phone (Trigger) might lead to a notification with the caller-ID from the incoming call being sent to your Apple Watch (Action).
Is there a limit to the number of IFTTT Recipes I can use at one time?
There is no limit to the number of Recipes that you can set up through IFTTT.
Who can use IFTTT integration?
Integration with IFTTT is available to Ooma Premier subscribers.
How do I get started with connecting Ooma to my favorite devices and services through IFTTT?
We have guides to walk you through connecting your Ooma Telo Base Station to some of your favorite devices and services. Click on any of the links below to get started:
- Connecting to your iOS Devices
- Connecting to your Android Devices
- Connecting to Google
- Connecting to Philips Hue
- Connecting to LIFX
- Connecting to WeMo
How do I find other Recipes that will work with Ooma?
You can find other Recipes that are compatible with Ooma by browsing the Apps page in My Ooma, by visiting our IFTTT channel, or by searching for Ooma from the main IFTTT page.
When you find a Recipe that you would like to integrate into your setup, you can do so by connecting any necessary accounts to IFTTT and then clicking the Recipe’s “Add” button.
How do I create my own Recipe?
If you would like to create your own Recipes using Ooma, follow these instructions:
- Log into your IFTTT account at https://ifttt.com/ and click on “My Recipes” at the top of the page.
- Click the “Create a Recipe” button. You will see a page like the one below:
- Choose a Trigger, which is an event that will trigger an Action:
- Click on “this.”
- Enter “Ooma” into the search box, and then click on the icon when it appears in the search results.
- If you haven’t connected your Ooma Channel already, click “Connect.” You will be redirected to an authorization page on My Ooma. Click “Authorize” and then sign in using your My Ooma login credentials:
- After you are redirected back to creating a Recipe, choose a trigger such as an incoming call or a new voicemail. Complete any required fields, and then click “Create Trigger:”
- Choose an Action that will happen when your Trigger occurs:
- Click on “that:”
- Decide which Action Channel you would like to link with and click “Connect.” You may be redirected to a login page where you will enter your username and password for that product or service.
- You will see a list of potential Actions to choose from. Select the desired action for your Recipe and complete any necessary information fields.
- Click “Create Action:”
- Click on “that:”
- Enter a title for your Recipe and then click “Create Recipe.”
You’re all set! Your Ooma Telo Base Station will start working together with your other favorite connected devices and services. Certain Channels may require you to perform other steps to get your Recipes working. For example, to receive notifications through the IF Notifications Channel, you must first install the IF by IFTTT app on your devices from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
What are some examples of IFTTT using IFTTT to enhance my Ooma setup?
The only limit to the types of Recipes that can be created with IFTTT to enhance your Ooma setup is your imagination. To help you get started, here are a few of our most popular Recipes:
What Triggers are available for the Ooma Channel?
There are four Triggers available for the Ooma Channel at this time:
- Any incoming call: This Trigger fires every time you receive an incoming call.
- Any new voicemail: This Trigger fires every time you receive a new voicemail.
- Incoming call from a number in contact list: This Trigger fires every time you receive an incoming call from a known number in your contact list.
- Incoming call from a number not in contact list: This Trigger fires every time you receive an incoming call from a number that is not in your contact list
What Actions are available for the Ooma Channel?
Our Channel does not currently have any Actions, but you can still connect Ooma with many of your other favorite devices and services that offer their own Actions.
What is an Ingredient?
Ingredients are the data that becomes accessible when a Trigger is activated. When you are creating a Recipe, you can use the available Ingredients to personalize your Action. For example, the data that are made available from the “Incoming call from a number in contact list” Trigger are:
- The caller’s phone number
- The caller’s name
- The type of phone number that they called you from (mobile, home, etc.)
- The phone number that was called
- The date and time that the call was received
You can use any of this information to personalize the Actions that you choose, such as in a text, email, or even a Facebook post.
How do I manage my Recipes?
To manage your IFTTT recipes, follow these instructions:
- Navigate to IFTTT and log in.
- Click on “My Recipes.”
- Click on the icon beside the Recipe you would like to manage to update its preferences.
- Click “Update” to save your changes.
How do I unlink my Ooma account from IFTTT?
To disconnect your Ooma account from IFTTT, follow these instructions:
- Navigate to IFTTT and log into your IFTTT account.
- Click on “Channels.”
- Click on the Ooma Channel.
- Click “Disconnect.”
Note that after disconnecting your Ooma account from IFTTT, all of your Ooma Recipes will be deactivated and will stop functioning. You will not be able to use Ooma in your Recipes until you reconnect your Ooma account.