If you have already established your business identity using an existing telephone number, it can be inconvenient to change to a new number when you change carriers. With Ooma Office, you have the option to keep your existing phone number or numbers when you say goodbye to your old carrier. Best of all, porting is free for Ooma Office customers.
Important: Please note that it takes an average of three to four weeks to complete the porting process. Number porting is supported in most calling areas. You can check whether your current phone number can be ported to Ooma by visiting http://www.ooma.com/business-choose-number/.
If you have DSL Internet service, please keep in mind that porting your number may disrupt your DSL service.
Please also note that if you want to port your phone number, it is necessary to keep your existing business phone service until this process is complete. If you cancel your phone service prior to completing the porting process you risk losing the number you are attempting to port to Ooma.
- What is porting?
- How much does porting cost?
- How long does porting take?
- What information do I need to port my phone number?
- How can I check on my porting status?
- What happens once I’ve initiated a phone number port?
- What happens to my temporary number after my number has been ported to Ooma?
What is porting?
Phone number porting allows you to transfer your existing telephone number or numbers from your old telephone company to Ooma. This will save you the time and hassle of giving your customers your new contact information, and eliminates the risk of your customers being unable to contact you.
How much does porting cost?
Phone number porting is complimentary for all regular US and Canada phone numbers, and for any applicable toll-free numbers. Once your number or numbers have been ported to your account, they can be assigned to a user. The first phone number that is assigned to each user is complimentary. Additional phone numbers will be billed at the standard rate of $9.95/month for US users, or CAD $14.95/month for Canadian users, for each number.
How long does porting take?
Porting your phone number can take 3-4 weeks to complete. During the transitional phase you must maintain your old phone service. Failure to do this may result in the loss of your phone number.
What information do I need to port my phone number?
From an Ooma Telo or Ooma Hub
You can port the telephone number from your residential Ooma device (Telo or Hub) to your Ooma Office system by contacting Customer Care.
From an outside carrier
The process of porting your number away from your current phone provider to Ooma is simple. Number porting is supported by most outside carriers, but before you initiate this process you will want to confirm that your phone number is eligible for porting. You can check whether your phone number can be ported by visiting http://www.ooma.com/business-choose-number/.
Once you’ve decided to take the plunge and port your number, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Log into Ooma Office Manager and navigate to the Add-Ons tab. Select the “Number Porting” option.
- Read the instructions carefully, and then click “Start Number Porting.”
- Fill in the Number Port Request with the following account information:
- The type of phone number you want to port (landline or cell phone)
- Your current telephone service provider
- Your current provider’s account number
- The type of Internet connection you are using
Note: If your DSL service is delivered on the same line as your phone service, you cannot proceed with a number port until you separate these two services. You can ask your current DSL provider for a “stand-alone” or “dry-loop” DSL connection. If you do not separate these two services, you may lose your DSL service after your number port completes.
- Next you will need to enter the main phone number associated with your account. If you are porting multiple phone numbers from the same provider, you will add them all on this screen by clicking the button for additional entries.
- For the next step, you will need to fill in your phone’s service address and the first and last name of the account holder. This information must match the information on your phone bill.
- Finally, you will need to select your primary Ooma phone number, and then confirm that you understand the terms and conditions of the number port and sign with a digital signature.
How can I check on my porting status?
When your number port has been initiated, you can check the porting status at any time by visiting the “Porting status” tab in Ooma Office Manager, as shown below:
Use the Porting status tab to check the progress of your phone number port.
What happens once I’ve initiated a phone number port?
The next step is up to your current phone service provider. Approximately two weeks after your porting request has been submitted, Ooma will send you a Firm Order Confirmation (FOC) date. This will be the day your number will be actually ported to Ooma from your current phone company. When your phone number has been successfully ported to your Ooma Office system, a member of our customer support team will make a test call to ensure that the port was successful. Afterwards, Ooma will send you one more email to let you know that the process is complete.
Once your number is successfully moved over to Ooma, you can call your old phone company to cancel your phone service. Say goodbye to your huge monthly bills!
What happens to my temporary number after my number has been ported to Ooma?
Once your number has been successfully ported to Ooma, it will replace your temporary number as the default phone number for your Ooma Office account. Your temporary number will be released back into the pool of available numbers.
If you would like to keep your temporary number permanently, you can contact Customer Care by emailing email@example.com at any time during the number porting process to request that your temporary number be assigned as a virtual number on your account.
Note: One phone number is included in your monthly Ooma Office subscription. Each additional number will be billed at $9.99/month.