Security Plan customers can take advantage of Geofencing, which uses the locations of one or more smartphones that are linked to Ooma Home Security to intelligently switch the system’s setup between Home and Away mode. Geofencing can switch modes after the last person leaves home, or when the first person arrives home. These mode changes do not interfere with scheduled mode changes.
How can I set up Geofencing?
You will be asked if you would like to set Geofencing up when you go through initial setup with your first Ooma Home Security device. When the app asks if you would like to use your location to affect your system’s Home and Away status, respond yes to toggle Geofencing on for your device.
If your system is already set up, you can toggle Geofencing on and off by visiting the Modes tab and choosing the appropriate setting under the Geofencing option.
Can I choose the size of the radius that is considered my home area?
You can choose between a small, medium, or large location radius when you are defining your home area.
Does Geofencing work on more than one device?
Geofencing can be enabled on multiple devices. Ooma Home Security will wait until the last device has left the home area to switch the mode to Away, and will switch back to Home mode when one or more devices reenter the home area.
How can I update the list of devices that are enabled for Geofencing?
Once Geofencing is set up, you can update the list of devices that are enabled by following these instructions:
- Go to the Modes tab of the Home Security app.
- Tap the Geofencing Settings option.
- Tap the Enabled Devices option.
- You will see a list of available devices. Toggle each of them on or off, and then save your changes.
Can I receive notifications when a specific person leaves or arrives home?
Yes. You can turn on push notifications that are linked to an individual’s smartphone so you’ll be alerted when a that person leaves from or returns to the home area.
If I’m at home and manually switch my system to Away mode, will Geofencing cause the system to automatically switch back to Home mode?
No. Geofencing will only switch the Home Security system’s mode when users cross the Geofencing boundary.
Does Geofencing override my Schedule?
No. Geofencing and the Schedule operate independently of each other. Geofencing will try to switch modes when the first person arrives in the home area and when the last person leaves. All scheduled mode changes should occur when they are supposed to.
How can I set up notifications?
Notifications are set up for each individual sensor. To set up notifications, follow these instructions:
- Choose the sensor you would like to edit from the main screen. You can also select a sensor from the Notifications option under the More menu.
- Choose the mode that you would like to update, or choose “All Modes” to override your previous individual settings.
- Choose the type(s) of notification(s) that you would like to receive when the mode you have chosen is enabled.
- Tap “Save” to save your changes.
- If you would like to add notifications to another mode, repeat steps 2-4.
Geofencing is not working properly on one or more of my devices. What can I do?
If Geofencing is not working as expected on one or more of your devices, you should begin by opening the Home Security app on your device and navigating to Geofencing Settings under the Modes menu trying the following troubleshooting steps:
- Uninstall the Ooma Home Security app and then reinstall it.
- Toggle Geofencing OFF and then ON again.
- Check to make sure that you have set up a location address and that it is correct.
- Make sure that the settings for “When the last person leaves home…” and “When the first person arrives home…” are correct.
- Check the Enabled Devices tab to confirm that all of your desired devices are enabled.
If you are still experiencing problems with Geofencing, you can try the following troubleshooting steps that are specific to your device’s operating system:
- Navigate to iOS Settings. Choose Home Security, and then choose Location. Make sure the option is set to “Always.”
- Navigate to iOS Settings. Choose Privacy, and then choose Location Services. Make sure this option is enabled.
- Navigate to Android Settings. Choose Apps, then Home Security, and then Permissions. Make sure that Location is enabled.
- Navigate to Android Settings. Choose Location, and make sure that it is enabled.